2-Channel Rail Speed Sensor GEL 2471 - MiniCoder GEL 2472
The MiniCoder family from Lenord + Bauer offers spacesaving solutions for the contactless measurement of rotational movements with direction sensing.
The MiniCoders operate from 0 Hz on for the detection of very slow movements without pulse loss and up to 20 kHz for the direct integration into high-speed motors and machines.
The high interference immunity ensures reliable function even under adverse operating conditions. The MiniCoder GEL 2472 accommodates two independent measuring systems in one housing permitting connection of two different electronic control systems, e.g. wheel slip prevention and traction control. This configuration also permits the use of different supply voltages.
- module range from m = 2.0 to m = 3.0
- measuring frequency from 0 to 20 kHz
- simple flange-mounting
- robust stainless steel casing
- customized cable fittings
- very high protection class IP 68
- wide temperature range -40 °C to +120 °C
- high electromagnetic compatibility
Fields of application
- rail vehicles - traction control
- anti-skid protection and wheel slip prevention
- motor speed control - vehicle speed
Output signalsTwo electrically isolated systems that can be combined from system 1 optionally:
- one square-wave signal and one direction signal
- one square-wave signal
- two 90°-shifted square-wave signals for direction sensing
- one square-wave signal
|Supply voltage||UB = 10 ... 20 V DC, reverse polarity protected|
|Current consumption without load||IB ≤ 40 mA|
|Output signals||electrically isolated, push-pull driver Imax = 20 mA|
|Input and output frequency||0 ... 20 kHz|
|Duty||0.5 +/- 0.25|
|Max. cable length||100 m|
|Electromagnetic compatibility *
Case 1: screen connected to housing
Case 2: screen not connected to housing
|rail vehicles: EN 50121-3-2
industry applications: EN 61000-6-1 to 4
rail vehicles: test in according with EN 50121-3-2 1)
|Insulation resistance||500 V|
|Connection||fully potted cable outlet with stress relief, 2 x 4 x 0,5 mm2
cable specification: please request separately
|Isolation strength||500 V|
|Module||m = 2.0; 3.0
(other modules between 2.0 and 3.0 available on request)
|Admissible air gap||depending on module, frequency and temperature range up to max. 1.5 mm|
|Working and operating temperature range||-40°C ... +120°C|
|Storage temperature range||-40°C ... +120°C|
|Protection class||IP 68|
|Vibration resistance (EN 60068 part 2-6)||200 m/s2|
|Shock resistance (EN 60068 part 2-27)||2000 m/s2|
|Width of the target wheel||≥ 20 mm taking into account all tolerances|
|Form of the target wheel||standard: m = 2.0 to 3.0, involute teeth according to DIN 867|
|Material of the target wheel||ferromagnetic steel|
|Weight with 2 m cable without fittings||approx. 550 g|
1) When the shield is not connected at the encoder end, the test level in acc. with EN 61000-4-4 may be lowered depending on installation conditions.
* Test according to EN 61000-4-3: In some cases strong electromagnetic fields can inherently affect the sensor’s HF-oscillator when the sensor is mounted in the open. Sensors installed in a casing are generally sufficiently screened from such fields.
Output level (typical course)
Dimensions Gel 2472
Cable Core Assignment
EMC installation advice
- Connect the screen at the end of the cable using a large contact surface, if possible.
- Keep all unscreened cables as short as possible.
- Keep grounding connections as short as possible using large cross-sections (low-induction grounding strip, ribbon cable)
- Lay signal and control cables away from power lines.
- The power supply must correspond to installation class 0 or 1 in according with B.3 of EN 61000-4-5 of 1995.
As with any other electronic device, when connecting the MiniCoder suitable precautions against electrostatic discharge must be taken. Do not touch connector pins and connecting wires without such precautions. Observe the guidelines in EN 100015-1.
Examples of customized cable connections
Lenord & Bauer: Rail Speed Sensors & Rotary Pulse Encoder