2-Channel Rail Speed Sensor GEL 2471 - MiniCoder GEL 2471
The MiniCoder family from Lenord + Bauer offers spacesaving solutions for the contactless measurement of rotational movements with direction sensing. The MiniCoders operate from 0 Hz on for the detection of very slow movements without pulse loss and up to 20 kHz for the direct integration into high-speed motors and machines. The high interference immunity ensures reliable function even under adverse operating conditions. The MiniCoder GEL 2471 works according to the induction principle and scans targets made of electrically conducting materials. The sensor can be factory-programm to scan either toothed wheels made of steel or for example, a weightsaving aluminium toothed ring mounted on an existing motor fan wheel.
- module range from m = 2.0 to m = 3.0
- measuring frequency from 0 to 20 kHz
- simple flange-mounting without adjustment
- robust stainless steel casing
- straight or side cable outlet
- customized cable fittings
- very high protection class IP 68
- wide temperature range -40 °C to +120 °C
- high electromagnetic compatibility
Fields of application
- rail vehicles - traction control
- wheel slip prevention
- engine speed
- machine automation - measurement of speeds and positions in machines and motors
- signal forms: - single-track square-wave signals
- two 90°-shifted square-wave signals for direction sensing
- one square-wave signal and one direction signal
|Supply voltage||UB = 10 ... 20 V DC, reverse polarity protected|
|Current consumption without load||IB≤ 40 mA|
|Output signals||square-wave, push-pull driver Imax = 20 mA|
|Input and output frequency||0 ... 20 kHz|
|Duty||0.5 +/- 0.25|
|Rise time (2 m cable)||≥ 10 V/µs|
|Max. cable length||100 m|
|Electromagnetic Capability *|
|Case 1: screen connected to housing
Case 2: screen not connected to housing
| rail vehicles: EN 50121-3-2
industry applications: EN 50081-1; EN 61000-6-2
rail vehicles: test in according with EN 50121-3-2 1)
|Isolation strength||500 V|
|Connection||fully potted cable outlet with stress relief, 6 x 1 mm2
screen connected at encoder (recommended), optionally insulated
cable specification: please request separately
|Module||m = 2.0; 3.0
(other modules between 2.0 and 3.0 available on request)
|Admissible air gap||depending on module, frequency and temperature range up to max. 1.5 mm|
|Working and operating temperature range||-40°C ... +120°C|
|Storage temperature range||-40°C ... +120°C|
|Protection class||IP 68|
|Vibration resistance (EN 60068 part 2-6)||200 m/s2|
|Shock resistance (EN 60068 part 2-27)||2000 m/s2|
|Width of measuring toothed-wheel||≥ 10 mm taking into account all tolerances|
|Form of measuring toothed-wheel||involute teeth, slotted teeth, others on request|
|Material of measuring toothed-wheel||steel or alternatively aluminium other electrically conducting materials on request|
|Weight with 2 m cable without fittings||approx. 500 g|
(1) When the shield is not connected at the encoder end, the test level in acc. with EN 61000-4-4 may be lowered depending on installation conditions.
* Test according to EN 61000-4-3: In some cases strong electromagnetic fields can inherently affect the sensor’s HF-oscillator when the sensor is mounted in the open. Sensors installed in a casing are generally sufficiently screened from such fields.
Installation drawing, EMC and ESD instructions
EMC InstructionsTo improve the electromagnetic environment please observe the following installation advice:
- Connect the screen at the end of the cable using a large contact surface, if possible.
- Keep all unscreened cables as short as possible.
- Keep grounding connections as short as possible using large cross-sections (low-induction grounding strip, ribbon cable)
- If the event of differences in potential between machine ground and ground of electronic circuit, appropriate measures must be taken to prevent equalizing currents from flowing via the cable shield (e.g. by providing for large-section equipotential bonding conductors or by using cables with separate double shielding where the shields are connected only at one end).
- Lay signal and control cables away from power lines.
- The power supply must correspond to installation class 0 or 1 in according with B.3 of EN 61000-4-5 of 1995.
ESD instructions(Components sensitive to electrostatic discharge) As with any other electronic device, the MiniCoder must be connected with the necessary precautions against the risk of electrostatic discharge. Connector pins and connecting wires must not be touched without suitable discharge protection devices. Observe the instructions of EN 100 015-1.
Supply voltage concept
Examples of customized cable connections
Cable Wire Assignment
(GEL 2471 without fittings, screened)
Speed Sensor Gel 2471 Typecode
If customized cable, conduit and connectors are required, please supply detailed specifications.
Lenord & Bauer: Rail Speed Sensors & Rotary Pulse Encoder